Washington, D.C. – OSHA and Crane Institute of America Certification (CIC) will have a signing ceremony on May 5th, 2010 to highlight OSHA’s formal recognition of CIC. Attendees of the Washington D.C. event will include representation from key leaders in Washington and from the crane industry including:
- The offices of Senators Johnny Isakson (R-GA) and Patty Murray (D-WA)
- Congressman Jeff Miller (R-FL)
- Directorate of OSHA Construction, Mr. Bill Parsons
- James Headley, CIC Governing Committee; CEO, Crane Institute of America Certification and President, Crane Institute of America
- William (Cliff) Dickinson, Jr, President of CIC Governing Committee; President, Crane Industry Services; ASME B30 Main Committee
- Paul Zorich, Vice President of CIC Governing Committee; President, RZP International, Ltd; President, ASME B30 Main Committee
- Larry Warren, Secretary – Treasurer, CIC Governing Committee; Crane & PCI Manager for Southern Company
- Mike Parnell, CIC Chair of Rigging Certification Committee and President, Industrial Training International; ASME B30 Chairman
- Anthony Brown, CIC Chair of Public Awareness and President, Safety Consultants
- Debbie Dickinson, Crane Institute Certification, Executive Director
This is only the second time OSHA has taken such a momentous action of recognition in our industry. Mr. Brown and Mr. Zorich were participants in the first event and have endorsed CIC from its initiation. The signing ceremony is the end of a long process in which OSHA reviewed the certification standards and process of CIC. Formal recognition by OSHA is an important stamp of approval for the nationally accredited certification programs for crane operators, riggers and signalpersons offered by CIC. The Voluntary Agreement from OSHA to CIC includes recognition for:
- Crane Operator Certifications – Under 21 Tons (includes options for small cranes, articulating booms, boom & truck cranes); 21 to 75 Tons; Over 75 Tons, Lattice Boom Carrier & Lattice Boom Crawlers.
- Rigger & Signalperson Certification.
Debbie Dickinson, the Executive Director of CIC, said “This voluntary agreement, whereby OSHA recognized CIC, lets the industry know that valid options do exist for crane and rigging industry certifications. Employers can be assured that certifications from CIC meet all OSHA regulations.”
The signing will be held at 3:00pm ET at the Department of Labor Building in Washington D.C. The proceedings will express appreciation to officials in Washington who have helped with this process and to people from the lifting industry who have helped CIC in this important step for the industry. New OSHA Standards that include language about lifting personnel maintaining accredited certification is anticipated in July 2010.
About Crane Institute of America Certification (CIC) – CIC is sponsored by Crane Institute of America, a respected leader in the craning industry for over 20 years. For more information, visit: http://cicert.com or call 763-476-4242.